Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Knoxville News

New City Cafe is beginning a new chapter in it's short yet extensive history. I was privileged to gather with some of the directors today and learn firsthand about the coming change. Let me dispel all rumors by saying that New City Cafe is NOT closing. I repeat: NOT closing. We are taking a much needed Sabbath as a community. The last regular concert will be September 30th. How fitting that it should be a cd release concert for Andy Peterson's The Far Country. That album in itself (and most of Andrew's work, really) seems to be about the coming of the Great Sabbath that will make history of our tears and our pain. The Sabbath is a time of rest and reflection, a time of joy and communion. As much as this might seem like an end to some (like it did to me at first), it now seems a new beginning to me. Like turning the page between Good Friday and Easter Morning, there's a funny breath of fresh cool morning air dancing round. I really can't wait to see where God is going to take this community.

I've also started a new job at Starbucks. While a lot of people think Starbucks is the giant evil empire (run by Dr. Evil from the Space Needle), what I've learned might just blow your mind. I've nothing more to say about that except that a lot of churches could stand to take lessons from this great 'evil empire' about servanthood, humility, and values. So, do a little digging if you please. You'll have to, because I found out that this company doesn't toot its own horn.

And now, the news.

2 Comments:

and Blogger Jared Lucas addressed the Senate...

Hey buddy,

I'm off from Lakeside on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday so come on buy any of those days or whenever you can.

I'll see ya down @ New City on Thurs.

7:50 PM, August 21, 2005  
and Blogger Adam addressed the Senate...

starbucks isn't entirely evil... they do take care of their employees!

hey, thanks for the update on new city. i performed there shortly after it opened in the mid-90s. *sigh* those were the days...

8:12 AM, August 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home