Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Weekend Review

Jared took us out Saturday afternoon for lunch at the Lakeside Tavern. And I ended up with the remnants of a bottle of wine from Francis Ford Coppola's vineyard in California. It's beautiful stuff with a dark velvet fruit taste. Great souvenir bottle too. I'm collecting some to make a lamp out of them or something. I wanted to copy an idea I saw at the Melting Pot many moons ago. They had a bottomless copper box made of metal plates. A bulb was hung inside with differently colored wine bottles hanging around it. The effect was really cool. Who know though...may change my mind.

The show Saturday night was phenomenal. It's been a while since I've had so much fun playing music. Usually Sunday mornings comprise my performance experience for the most part, and while they're not all that bad, an escape to a more performance-oriented artist-friendly venue is a blessing. So, it was a great turnout for the New City show. As usual, Grant stepped up to the plate as a drummer, and knocked it clear of left field. So, between Grant and Rob on guitar, these dusty old sketches of songs were turned into an impressionistic magnum opus. We scaled the walls of quite a few genres, skipping from jazz to country to rock to an old spiritual. My wife sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and I've never been so proud. I had a blast the whole night. And lo and behold, some folks came out from a discipleship group that I had played at with my sister Emily a couple weeks ago. They didn't even know it was me playing that night, nor did I know they were coming, but it was really cool to meet sort-of-familiar faces. It was also a great opportunity to talk with the guys from Sefrona (who I always appreciate hearing) and see some great friends.

These past few days have been spent in making what money I can. But they seem to run together. I am becoming more aware of my everyday need for Christ. It's something I'm going to have to take more seriously. But nothing feels better to a heavy soul than contentment in inadequacy. I wish I was better at maintaining knowledge of my own weakness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home