Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Running with Music

I had one of those moments of epiphany last night. I was listening to Doubting Thomas on the last Nickel Creek album, driving through the night out to White Pine. All the dark mass of my own pride in everything I was doing came into view a little clearer than it had been before. I had to re-realize that I am not the one in control, that it is not mine to bring beauty into the world. I'm not even the catalyst. Incredulous as it may seem, I have been chosen. There's no other explanation but to say that the One from whom all beauty comes chose me and said this is what I want you to do. I'm grateful, to Him and to you guys who listen, read, and watch. Thank you. I don't tell you that nearly enough. Thanks for listening. The fact that you would spend your time and attention on me is amazing.

I am beginning to remember beauty and forget things like monetary worries. I had forgotten to remember that I'm a fallen sparrow and a lily of the field - one among many that are dressed and fed like little children for school. Kat and I went out yesterday morning to start running. I've promised my friend Barry that I will run with him in the 2008 Knoxville marathon. So we strapped on the mp3 players and took to the roads of Baneberry, with Bela Fleck and his band playing Big Country in my head as we ran under the rain-grey bellies of cool-headed clouds past the hayfields. It was a good morning next to my wife with a good song in my head. I think it's an arangement of Stephen Foster's Red River Valley.

The US is playing Ghana soon. Should be interesting, as I have a good friend in Ghana. I'll have to write him a letter about it. I hope to write you again soon, and I'll tell you the rest of that story about my Appalachian Trail journey. Until then...

"Come and sit by my side, if you love me
Do not hasten to bid me adieu
Just remember the Red River Valley
And the cowboy who loved you so true."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home