Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Imaginary Glass Ceiling

A friend of mine, recently leading a prayer time amongst friends, said that he felt that we hadn't "broken through". As he said it, I felt a twinge of something - maybe frustration, maybe a combination of frustration and something else. But I wondered what he meant by it.

Breaking through? Breaking through a wall that separated our prayers from God? Breaking through to a certain level of silence to where we listened to the Holy Spirit better? Breaking through? What did he mean by that?

As one who has amassed a fair amount of time having my emotions flummoxed and twisted and drenched by various events and works of art (just last week I had to leave the room to keep from weeping and wailing in a very unmanly way at the end of the hockey movie Miracle), I am sometimes distrustful of anything that seems based on emotions. This can get me into trouble, especially as a musician and a songwriter. Art definitely brushes up against something by which we are set aflame but not destroyed. So why does this bother me? Breaking through? What is there to break through? Immanuel. God is with us. Where two or more are gathered in his name, there he is with them. He will never leave us or forsake us.

I don't know why my feathers are ruffled by that, but it just raises some questions in my mind.

1 Comments:

and Anonymous Anonymous addressed the Senate...

do you still have my email? Cause I have sadly misplaced yours. I needed to ask you something of semi-importance..well at least it is important to me. I would place my cellphone on here but I would rather not. If you still have my email please email me! Thanks!!

5:21 PM, February 27, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home