Tuesday, June 03, 2008

MacDonald Takes a Holiday

It is far too late for sanity.

The sun long ago retired from his perch in the Tennessee sky. I must be at work before he arises, and tomorrow shall be a long day, but having worked late, I have decided that staying awake might befit the times better than sleep.

I'll probably be wrong.

Anyways, I'm taking the opportunity to tell you that you should read books by George MacDonald. If justice wore a gentle and honest face (and I think it might), you would see it peering a bit phlegmatically through his poetry and prose. His characters, insofar as I have read, are generally carbon copies of what I am and what I desire to be - that is, the naivety or interrogative silliness of his heroes is quite akin to my own, and the sagacity of their teachers is something that I wish that I possessed (most likely, out of a naive understanding of what begets that venerable wisdom).

Mostly though, I want you to read George MacDonald because his is a name that is not quite as popular in circles both Christian and pagan as it should be. His fantasies are treasures, and his theology should be far more widespread than it is. I believe that you are likely to find more truth in Lilith, Phantastes, and Unspoken Sermons than you will in The Prayer of Jabez (let it be known that I pick on Jabez because it is easy, not because I'm aware of what Jesus thinks of Dr. Bruce Wilkinson, though I might venture to say that Jesus loves him). Though you are not likely to find MacDonald's works in your nearest Christian bookstore (if you are, that's wonderful!), you may find the internet a useful tool. If you, like myself, were addicted to the romance of antiquity, then you would sift through your local antique-book-and-novelty shop. In any case, you should put this soon-acquired book above that copy of Nicholas Sparks' latest endeavor that was sitting at the top of your stack. Indeed, you should probably put it above Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, or, at least, nearby it (since, once you pick up Harry you likely won't put him down until you are finished).

By our sheer numbers, we will flood the market with a demand for reprints and publications. I know we can do it. A spark fires a movement.

Kat and I will be leaving for a few days on Friday, and I will be devoid of both the ability and the desire to gain internet access. So if you have something important to say to me, put it off until later, because it can't possibly be that important if you're reading my blog. You should do something productive with your time. Like gardening or writing a letter. On the other hand, if you're reading my blog, you are a person with great patience and pure, uncoerced interest in what I have to say. May the Lord bless you, dear reader.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home