Friday, August 22, 2008

A Three-In-One Book Review

Three new gems for your young one have come out. I read through these out loud (since that is the way you should read stories and small, poetic books) to myself, since I could not find any children to borrow at the time. Perhaps if I had gone through the neighborhood looking for some though, things might have turned out differently. I would definitely be labeled "That creepy guy with the beard." But if you have some children at hand, then I recommend the following reads:

God Gave Us Heaven
by Lisa Tawn Bergen, art by Laura J. Bryant

You get to follow Little Bear on a day with her father as they pal around together. She, like all kids, is full of the questions for which adults can never come up with the perfect answers (Isn't it funny how all our answers are just a little off?). Her father doesn't pretend to know everything, but answers out of his simple faith and patient wisdom, all to the visual tune of beautiful watercolor arrangements.



God Loves Me More Than That
by Dandi Daley Mackall, illustrated by David Hohn

How many bumbles are there in a bumble bee? I don't know, but you can be sure that God loves me more than that number. This book is chock-full of reassurances like that, completed by David Hohn's masterful paintings of beautiful and heartfelt and funny things. My favorite pictures had to be the elephant on the tightrope and the hippopotamus in a raincoat. This is one to read slowly and make sure that the pictures really get taken in.



When God Created My Toes
by Dandi Daley Mackall, illustrated by David Hohn

You may have noticed that this is the same team that brought you God Loves Me More Than That. This book is my favorite of the three. The little girl in it is just about as innocently and sweetly irreverent as one can get, and she's perfectly secure in God's love in the way that we all desire to be, once we are old enough to grow out of our faith and into our logic, to our shame, of course. She wonders, and I have to laugh and wonder if God held his nose to make my toes. And did he ever shout "Hip, Hip, Hooray!"? And the illustrations are exquisitely done and sometimes side-splitting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home